SHROUD/ Zaccone (International Center of Sindonology) The True Story of the Shroud That Traveled Europe
The latest exposition of the Holy Shroud of Turin began on April 10. The burial cloth can be visited by public until May 23. The event follows previous exhibitions of the Shroud for the Jubilee Year in 2000 and one in 1998; before that it had been twenty years since the Shroud had been displayed in 1978.
From the first confirmed accounts in the middle of the fourteenth century, when Geoffrey de Charny deposited the sheet in his church in Liray, France, up until its restoration in 2002, the Shroud tells a long story. Ilsussidiario.net traces the history with Gian Maria Zaccone, vice-president of the International Center of Sindonology and director of the Museum of the Shroud.
Around the year 1356, in Lirey, France, the knight Geoffrey de Charny, an influential figure at the time in the Kingdom of France, deposited a long linen sheet at the church he had founded. On the cloth could be seen what was immediately interpreted to be the imprint of Christ, after He was crucified and died.
This fourteenth-century date is the beginning of the fully-documented history of the Shroud, which would arrive in Turin in 1578. It’s from that point that the movements and transfers of possession can be reconstructed with enough certainty to exclude the possibility of any substitution or loss of the original, from the display in Charny up to today.
The period of time the Shroud remained in Lirey is supported by a significant amount of written and iconographic evidence, which gives witness to the immediate interest aroused by its appearance, though this included various issues and concerns raised by the unusual and unique item.
Handed over by the last descendant of Geoffrey to the Savoy family in 1453, the Shroud remained in their possession until 1983, when, according to the will of Duke Umberto II of Savoy, it was left to the Holy See. In 1506, [the year in which the Divine Office –culto pubblico was approved], the Shroud was permanently placed in the Sainte-Chapelle of Chambéry. It was here on the night of December 4, 1532, that a fire broke out, and although great effort was made to save the Shroud, it did not escape before sustaining some damage, signs of which can still be seen.
NEXT PAGE - CLICK BELOW >>